Director — Liberian Institute of Policy Studies & Research (LIPSR)
Term of Reference
Liberian Institute of Policy Studies & Research (LIPSR)
University of Liberia
The Liberian Institute of Policy Studies and Research (LIPSR) is the premier think-tank in Liberia dedicated to issues of social policy.
Based on the campus of the University of Liberia in Monrovia, the institute is a free-standing institution drawing upon the resources of the University as well as regional and international partners. The institute solicits projects from the Government of Liberia, from the UN System, foreign governments and NGOs as well as transnational corporations and academic institutions.
The output of the institute include policy analysis and policy recommendations across the spectrum of social concerns such as healthcare, peace and security, education, investment and development, governance, international relations, rule of law, technology and environment.
Research fellows are drawn from the university faculty as well as from a robust list of international visiting fellow to help shape and facilitate the research and the formulation of recommendations.
The Director of the Institute is responsible to the University President for providing strategic leadership and administrative management of the University research strategy and policy, including fostering strategic change and development in research and training.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides the overall intellectual leadership and guidance for the Research Program and ensures that the Institute’s research agenda is of the highest quality and relevance to the policy needs of Liberia and Africa
- Develops and implement a fund raising strategy for supporting the institute’s research programs and ensures that donor/partners requirement, including reporting on activities are met.
- Provides leadership in the strategic development and evolution of the Research Agenda through active management of program activities including a publishing program and an on-line journal, ensuring that they are responsive to the longer term needs of Liberia and Africa for policy research and, that training provided is of the highest standard
- Network with senior African and non African researchers and academics as well as with relevant African national, regional and international institutions to ensure continued relevance of research activities and a high profile for the institute
- Establishes and actively maintain links with other national policy research centers, to promote inter-disciplinary research and explore frontier research into issues bearing on social and economic development.
- Initiates, innovate and develop activities aimed at improving the scope and quality of research for individual University faculty as well as overall institutional capacity building.
- Enhances collaboration between the Institute and other African institutions and scholars engaged in policy research, ensuring regular renewal and turnover of Resource Persons for adequate support to Thematic and collaborative research projects.
- Overall responsibility for the management of the Institute including financial management activities, and generally oversees day-to-day activities involving supervision of a small team.
- Excellent research leadership and management skills and experience.
- Demonstrated leadership and excellence in research and training, innovation and strategy.
- Experience in leading, managing and coordinating a broad range of research and research training functions in line with strategic objectives.
- Demonstrated ability to conceptualize, plan and implement strategic developments within the context of broad plans.
- An outstanding academic and research background in a relevant disciplinary area.
- High level consultation and negotiation skills with demonstrated fundraising ability.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with capacity to work cooperatively and in partnership with diverse groups, including the media.
- Ability to work in French would be an asset.
Qualification and Experience
PhD in a Research Discipline with minimum of seven years of relevant professional and managerial experience.
Condition of Service
Must be willing and able to travel widely
How to Apply
Letters of Application along with Curriculum Vitae should be send to: Human Resource Dept, University of Liberia, Monrovia, Liberia.
Attn. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: November 15, 2020